This workshop is designed to introduce a biologist to work in an interactive Linux environment of our BioHPC Lab workstations. We will first explain how the BioHPC Lab fits in the broader context of computational facilities offered by Bioinformatics Facility. In particular the topics will include:
- Overview of computational infrastructure at Bioinformatics Facility
- Setting up your Lab account
- Overview of Lab Credit Accounts and hours
- How to reserve and manage time on BioHPC Lab workstations
- Storage in BioHPC: quotas, storage groups and purchasing extra space
- Remote access to the workstations: ssh with text, VNC and X-Windows
- Transferring data in and out of the Lab
The presented material will be illustrated by hands-on exercises hosted on dedicated workstations of the BioHPC Lab. The workstations will be accessed using the Secure SHell (ssh) protocol. To participate in the exercises, please bring your own laptop. For links to client software, instructions, and more information on access to BioHPC machines, please refer to the following document: http://cbsu.tc.cornell.edu/lab/doc/Remote_access.pdf. You may want to install the software in advance to streamline your workshop participation.
Access to BioHPC Lab workstations requires a Lab account. If you do not yet have an account on BioHPC Lab system, we will create one for you. Also, we will assign a machine for you to work on during and after the workshop.
The machine allocations are posted here.